Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Solitude

Mark chapter 1 is an example of a day in the life of Jesus. Mark carefully accounted this typical day in the life and ministry of Jesus.

It was the Sabbath, Jesus spent the morning teaching the people in the synagogue, it was there He was confronted with a demon-possessed man.  Jesus said in verse 25-26 '"Be quiet!" said Jesus stearnly. "Come out of him!" The impure spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek.'

The day continued to the house of Simon and Andrew for lunch, but lunch was not quite ready because Simon's mother-in-law was sick in bed with a fever, "So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them" Mark 1:31

The day had already been eventful when the doorbell rings and "The whole town gathered at the door, and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was." Mark 1:33-34

I think we can say that it was a long day; we have no idea how long Jesus was there with the people, talking, walking, and healing them.  We can only imagine it had been a late night when he finally got to get to his bed, emotionally and physically drained, exhausted. I know that I have had those long days that when I finally get to bed I feel as if the day has sucked everything out of me.  No one would have blamed Jesus if he decided to sleep in a little the next morning; I know that I would’ve!

In the next verse it says "Very early in the morning while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." Mark 1:35. In the middle of all the craziness, instead of sleeping in a little longer, Jesus chooses solitude.

It is in this place of solitude where He finds courage to follow God’s will rather than his own, to speak God’s words rather than his own, to do God’s work rather than his own.

Now we have problems with finding solitude because of our busy schedules, people always being around us, and the technology we have readily available.  We have fears, excuses and obligations that keep us from taking the time out of our day to sit in solitude.

I challenge you to join me in finding the time to take out of my day.  To find my own solitary place where I can be alone and pray each day.  Jesus did it, now it’s our turn to JOIN HIM!

In HIM,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment